Hermeneutics: Principles of Interpreting the Bible
Learn how to interpret the Bible accurately! Study the branch of theology that deals with principles of interpretation.
- You will be able to apply sound hermeneutical principles when studying the Bible
- You will have a better understanding of the Bible
- You will be able to handle God's word correctly
- You will be able to represent God more accurately
- You will be able to teach / preach from the Bible more accurately
- Students will need to have a Bible and a willingness to learn.
Do you desire to have a better understanding of the Bible? Would you like to be able to handle God's word with confidence? If so, this course is for you!
Hermeneutics is the branch of Christian theology that deals with how we interpret the Bible. This course takes you through the important principles that must be followed in order to interpret and understand God's word correctly. You will be equipped to better understand the Bible and to handle it with confidence. Pastors and ministers will also be better equipped to preach / teach from the Bible with greater accuracy.
This course covers:
- What the Bible is
- Why there are so many translations
- Pre-requisites of biblical interpretation
- The importance of context, historical setting, and a passage's geography
- Figures of speech and features of biblical poetry
- Drawing out the intended meaning of a passage (exegesis) vs reading into a passage a meaning that is not there (eisegesis)
- Understanding why a particular book in the Bible was written, and how this informs interpretation
- Comparing your understanding of a passage with what the rest of the Bible teaches
This course also includes an electronic copy of my book, 'Making Sense of the Bible'.
- All Christians who desire to understand the Bible better
- Pastors, preachers and teachers of God's word
I’m Dr. Stuart Pattico, the Senior Pastor and Founder of Joy Community Church and the author of several Christian books including 'Firm Foundations', 'The Holy Spirit Manual', 'The Anointing', 'Praying with Power', 'Hearing God's Voice', 'Moving in the Prophetic', 'The Glory Within You', 'Discover and Fulfil Your Purpose', and 'Making Sense of the Bible'.
I have three earned degrees: a Doctor of Ministry from Christian Leadership University, a Master of Arts in Bible & Ministry from King’s College London, and a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computing & Information Systems from Goldsmiths, University of London.
I have been in Christian ministry since 2004 and have shared God's Word to people of various backgrounds in the United Kingdom, Kenya, India and Ghana.
Start6. Pre-requisites of biblical interpretation (4:46)
Start7. Exegesis vs eisegesis (3:13)
Start8. Understanding why a book in the Bible was written (4:20)
Start9. Keeping verses in their context (3:45)
Start10. Understanding the historical setting (4:54)
Start11. Two resources to help you understand the historical setting
Start12. Be aware of the passage's geographic setting (3:14)
Start13. Two resources to help you understand the geographical setting
Start14. Comparing your interpretation of a passage with the rest of the Bible (1:17)
Start15. Figures of speech and poetry (5:14)